Questions and Answers to Life and Everything

random thoughts and experiences

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

daughter, mother, wife, big ole perv, ecclectic, vibrant, insatiably curious

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Where does it go?

I live in Michigan. Never lived anywhere else and really dont have any desire to. I love visting other places. But my heart and my home are next the big lake. I like the change of seasons, even if some people think the seasaon are almost winter, winter, winter almost over and construction. LOL.


One of my favorite things about living here is the fresh produce. Right now aspargus is in season. Soon cherries and strawberries will be ripe and ready,then lettuces, beans, tomatoes. Late summer and fall brings apples and squashes and on and on.


I get very frustrated with our local stores though. I understand Michigan does not really support the climate for avocados or citrus, for that I am gratefull to Florida and California. I understand importing California stawberries in January. I understand Georgia peaches are rips long before our cool climate ones. I do not understand why in the peak of apple season in Michigan the majority of apples at my local grocer come from Washington state.

I wanna know where our Michigan produce ends up. If you live in Washington state are you buying Michgan apples in the fall? Do our strawberries mysteriously migrate in June?

This really gets my panties in a bunch. Why do I have to make an extra stop to support my local farmers? Why is it so difficult to purchase local produce with the rest of my shopping?

I would really perfer to eat local, from local farmers. Less shipping, less time from picked to table. Plus it tastes better. And if my food tastes better dont I taste better too?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fresh produce is and always will be better than anything you can buy in the store. My mom grows her own vegetables and they always taste much better than what I get in the store. Maybe you'll find out where your Michigan fruits are landing one of these days. I like and appreciate you wanting to support local farmers as well. :D

8:07 PM  
Blogger Mrs.ZigZagMan said...

Broken blogger.... thanks:)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Suze said...

Most of the fruit and fresh produce in our local supermarket is imported as the season over here is so short.

But the climate is changing over here and perhaps we will soon be able to grow citrus fruit here too. Lol

12:01 PM  
Blogger crse said...

I thought I commented on this last week. Im sorry! We try to support the local farmers too. Is it a conspiracy so nobody ever gets anything fresh? Crap like that scares the hell out of me....

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home