Questions and Answers to Life and Everything

random thoughts and experiences

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

daughter, mother, wife, big ole perv, ecclectic, vibrant, insatiably curious

Friday, May 25, 2007

Da count Memorial Weekend...

Today starts a long weekend for us. The intent is to remember those who have served and given their life for their country. The reality for most people is another excuse to play hooky from work and steal some R and R.

In the Zig house its the opening of Camp season. YAH! camp! We take the kids hours north and subject them to what ever weather comes our way, drink a bit to much, sing a bit to loud and take as many pics of the whole event as possible. I will have you know its been 80 F here all week. I wake up today and its 60 and raining. Typicall. I am going anyways. We have survived snow before.


As for my Da count:

A huge Thank you to all who have served our country, to their families and the people that miss them.

I have never lived anywhere else but I love being an American. We dont always do everything right. But it is a great place to grow up, raise a family and follow your dreams.

My great Grandpa severd in WWI. He had a metal plate in his head. I did not realize till I was much older how lucky he was to be alive. He was missing one eye ball, the socket intact but empty. He had a fake eye but he rarely wore it. I used to be entranced with the roadmap of arteries and veins visible in the hollow depression. Grandpa was way cool. He made his own bread, often cinnamon raison bread and he was generously shared. He grew the smallest tomatoes I ever saw in his back yard. He was always kind and willing to tolerate a kids curiosity. I fondly remember him sitting on his front porch listening to the ballgame on the radio. I offered to put it on the TV. He smiled and said, "But that would take the fun out of it now, wouldnt it!" Years later I realized he grew up listening to the radio. It was comforting to him, and more fun to imagine the game as it was dictated play by play.

His son, my Grandpa is also a great man. He has the same kind demeanor. My Mom's Father served in Korea. If you listen carefully he will talk about his M1 thumb. If you listen carefully he just might strum a few folk tunes on his guitar. Once Grandpa took me for a ride. He showed me where the old railroad tracks crossed the river. Its just up stream from where we are camping this week. He asked me to imagine a train full of young men leaving for boot camp. I swear when I see those empty support pilons I can hear the whipers of those that cried, the shouts of bravado masking others fear, and palpably feel the tention.

I have an Uncle that was military but never saw conflict. I adore him. We do jager bombs together now. I can hardly wait till its time to do shots this weekend and place my 1/2 gallon of Jagermeister on the table:) He still has great stories of service. In fact he just has great stories.


On a side note, I am gratefull for working in a small hospital that takes care of its employees. And I am gratefull for little girls that still like to hold Mom's hand. I am gratefull for Federal camp grounds and the Forestry Service personnel that manamage them. And I am gratefull for the life I have, and the people I share it with.

5 Comments:

Blogger crse said...

I really need to start doing the count. This was a beautiful post buddy. Have fun camping and revelling!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice. Hear, here for those that have served!!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Great post and a fitting tribute.

I hope you all had a good time and don't forget to post some of those pics. ;)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs.ZigZagMan said...

crse- thanks, and please do.

DFP-thank you

Suze- pics will definitely be shared,......

10:02 PM  
Blogger lecram sinun said...

I love this count especially the great grandpa and grandpa stories. I never knew either of my grandfathers so this was a real treat for me. Thank you for sharing. :) Cheers!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home