Questions and Answers to Life and Everything

random thoughts and experiences

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

daughter, mother, wife, big ole perv, ecclectic, vibrant, insatiably curious

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter.


I miss my family. Both my immediate family and those more distant. I helped sick people get better instead of watching my kids inhale vast amounts of sugar infused treats, instead of dinner with relatives, instead of hiding eggs.

These holidays are odd for me. I miss the big family gatherings. I miss the special treats reseverd for family get togethers. I miss seeing faces and hugging people not usually associated with my day to day life. I miss the fights and the laughter and the sence of belonging.

My family is in transition. I havent quite caught up with the idea. My Aunts and Uncles who used to be my core are now distant. They have grandkids now.

I fit somewhere in between.


I am kinda like the lost child.

I am not my Grandparents child but often at family events my Aunt will look me honestly and in the eye and say
"do you know what your "mother" did the other day...." It takes me a few sentences to realize she does not mean my mother, her sister, but actually is talking of her mother, my grandmother. Was that confusing? I am sorry. My Aunt is not the only one. My Grandmother has talked to me about my "sister".... My mother... her daughter..
My Uncles do it too. My youngest Uncle is 5 years older than me.


I am five years older then the next grandchild, and for the majority I am 10 years older or more. My uncles were having children about the same time I was. My daughter is the first Great grandchild. But it doesnt seem that way.

There is no Easter dinner this year. I work both the night before and night of Easter, not much time for preparing much of anything... and my child is 1/2 state away. I am hoping she will be home today, weather permitting.

Gotta love Spring in Michigan. The daffodils have bloomed but succumbed to the snow and wind. Green grass pokes through a fluffy blanket of snow. I guees that is kinda how I feel to day. Like a season looking forward to warmer weather but not quite giving up on winters icy grip.

I suppose that is enough rambling this morning.

My Easter wish is for my family to know deep in there soul how much I care. I wish the best for yours too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Suze said...

Mrs Zig, sorry to hear you won't be working through Easter. I hope you are taking some chocolate eggs to work to keep you going.

Happy Easter to you all. :)

1:49 PM  
Blogger crse said...

Mrs. Zig, I was lurking for a bit, but this really touched me and made me sad. I can totally relate. I hope somehow the transition happens and you can find a new way to get that sense of belonging back. Happy Easter (and god help us let spring come back SOON!)

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was away from my native town only for year.. and I found it very hard at holidays... and I am not a family person at all...
I wish you had some nice time for Easter week end... ;-)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Mrs.ZigZagMan said...

Suze- Apparently the sick and dying do not take holidays off....such is the life of service I chose.

Crse- Sorry to make you sad, I try to keep this site fun, but it was honest at least.

Searabbit- Everytime I go home the changes to my home town are disturbing... but after 5 years I feel more like a visitor and less like someone returning home.

8:15 PM  
Blogger ZigZagMan said...

crse's a lurker crse's a lurker!! :)

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home