Questions and Answers to Life and Everything

random thoughts and experiences

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

daughter, mother, wife, big ole perv, ecclectic, vibrant, insatiably curious

Thursday, September 20, 2007

age and innoncence 2

As I watch with delight and dismay at my daughters progress toward adulthood I find I am remembering details of my own life.

I wonder if she has held hands with a boy, or kissed one. I wonder if when she is away from me is she safe.....

Will she make good choices? Will she say no more often? Or will she be like me and enjoy the various explorations?

Today I loaded her Mp3 player. I censored obvious songs on cheating or sex. There still is plenty of love and heartbreak. There is a few just fun up beat little tunes. Music has helped and still helps me cope. Poor thing is be subjected to the music of my youth along with some newer music we both adore presently.

As I reviewed my catalog of songs the memories spanned from painfull to light. Emotions ebbed and flowed. My toes tapped. I smiled and I cried.

I can not save her from her first heartbreak. She will stumble and fall and pick herself back up. Friends will come and go too quickly. Best I can do is give her the tools to be a descent person with some grace and a fair amount of dignity.

I was 13 when I begged for my first "boombox". She now holds more music in the palm of her hand then I could have carried feasibly with my boombox.

So I ask what are some of the song that remind you of your past?

2 Comments:

Blogger crse said...

Mrs. Z, you are breaking my heart. This whole watching the kids grow up thing and not being able to secure their happiness is the most painful thing ive ever done. On that note, I have to confess that Rupert Holmes Escape is the first thing that popped into my mind with that question!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Pretty much anything from the 1980s. I graduated from high school and college in that decade, so anything from that time transports me right back, good or bad.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home